This recipe from my grandmother’s recipe box is the filling that completes our family favorite, her Cream Puffs.
If you are going to make Cream Puffs you are going to need a recipe for the filling! Of course, you can always use Vanilla Pudding to fill the puffs and if you choose to, I understand. We all have to cut corners however we can. However, my thought is if you are going to make the Cream Puffs from scratch, you might as well make the filling!
This is another recipe from my grandmother’s recipe box and this filling completes the family favorite of her Cream Puffs. The filling brings the perfect amount of sweetness that the puffs need. I promise, both recipes are quick, it honestly takes longer for them to cool than anything else.
Feel free to mix the Cream Puff filling the day ahead, I honestly think it tastes better the next day.
The best part about this recipe is that it can be used if you decide to make Eclairs versus Cream Puffs out of your batter. Feel free to mix this a day ahead, I honestly think that it tastes better the next day.
Cream Puff Filling
- Double Boiler or stockpot with a glass bowl that is large enough to rest on top and make your own double boiler.
- Separate bowl for filling to cool in.
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Butter
- Pour milk in the double boiler.
- Beat the egg with sugar and then add flour.
- Pour mixture into a stockpot and add milk. Place stockpot on stovetop and mix. The mixture comes together fast, whisk quickly.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, add Vanilla and stir. If not using right away place in the fridge.