This Chocolate Chip Bar is perfect for when you are craving something sweet, but don’t have a lot of time.
Tonight’s dessert was brought to you by the recipe boxes! When you are craving chocolate chip cookies but don’t want to take the time, this Chocolate Chip Bar will provide you with a quick fix! The dough mixes quickly and lends itself to a variety of mix-ins. I am not a HUGE fan of nuts in my dessert, but I was truly testing my willpower to not through in some leftover M&M’s I had lying around!
This Chocolate Chip Bar recipe is from a friend of my parents, that they went to college together at Fort Hays State University in my hometown of Hays, KS. It is a classic recipe that you can make quickly, which is perfect for potlucks or when you are craving something sweet. From mixing to baking it is maybe 30 min and in my book that is a win-win!
From start to finish, this Chocolate Chip Bar is done 30 min!
Chocolate Chip Bar
- 13 x 9 pan
- 2/3 cup Shortening (Part Butter)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 pkg 6 ox Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Cream shortening, sugars, egg and vanilla.
- Blend in dry ingredients.
- Mix Chocolate Chips and nuts (if using).
- Spread in greased oblong pan (13 x 9 x 2) and Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.